On February 17, 2017, Senators Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) and Toni Atkins (D-San Diego) introduced SB 562, the Californians for a Healthy California Act and a new campaign -- Healthy California -- is underway to make guaranteed healthcare for all a reality in California!
What Is the Healthy California Act?
When enacted, the Healthy California Act will create a public agency to guarantee that every resident of California will receive comprehensive healthcare services. It’s like Medicare for All. Individuals will have free choice of licensed health professionals and services. Covered benefits will include services to keep people healthy -- mentally and physically -- as well as those services that diagnose and treat diseases. In addition to emergency services, surgeries, and hospital stays, services such as home health care, day care and hospice are covered. Vision and dental care are also included. The Healthy California Act has been crafted to provide a single high standard of safe, therapeutic care for all California residents in a manner that is financially sustainable:
- A payroll and income premium, which is higher for upper income earners, would replace insurance company premiums, co-pays and deductibles. No more double-digit premium increases.
- Choose any provider. No more surprise bills. No out-of-pocket costs for covered services.
- Eliminates co-pays for Medicare Part B.
- Lower prescription drug costs.
- Regional planning to reduce overlap and duplication of expensive equipment and facilities.
- Provider rates will be negotiated to ensure access, cost control and high-value services.
- The advances from the Affordable Care Act will be folded into the new system.
- Huge cost-savings from reduced bureaucracy. No more insurance company run-around. No more bill collectors.
- Diverse participants including ordinary citizens and representatives of labor and business, as well as various health care professionals and health policy experts, will advise and help design the Healthy California program.
What is Healthy California?
Healthy California is a campaign comprised of organizations -- including Labor United for Universal Healthcare -- representing over 4 million Californians committed to guaranteeing healthcare for the residents of our state.
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) made history by expanding health insurance to millions of Californians for the first time. However, it left insurance companies in charge of our healthcare system. Also, even with the ACA, 3,800,000 California residents are still uninsured.
With the federal government again doing healthcare reform, moving more responsibility for healthcare to the states, it’s imperative that California establish a better, truly universal system, which finally gets costs under control. The Golden State can set the standard for the country by implementing a just and equitable healthcare system -- Healthy California!
Click here to visit the campaign's website.
What can you do?
And share, share, share with your co-workers, family, and friends. Together we can make guaranteed healthcare in California a reality for everyone!Published February 22nd, 2017
Like this post? Consider sharing it on Facebook or Twitter.